Wednesday, September 10, 2008

So Much Politicking It's Nearly A Game

There is too much politicking in politics. Politics has turned from what it should be, an arena to voice opinions and propose policies, into a game for the older and supposedly wiser. It is all about [voting] records and advertisements and a big game of he said/she said. Instead, politics should be a forum for the nation's leaders to meet and discuss issues. Politics should be more of a discussion than this nauseating show of people cramming agendas down each other's throats. McCain (or Obama) can say he is going to do all of this and that is great. That is his political agenda and that is important, but what really matters is how he came to the conclusions that those are the things this country needs and how he plans to do those things. I would love to have a political discussion with a candidate so I could truly understand the thinking and reasoning behind his or her actions, but unfortunately, America has no patience for knowledge, they want results. However, I ask America, what good are results if there is no reason behind them? Nothing should be done simply to be done. Everything should be based on discussion and reasoning and not yelling and propaganda-ing.
With all the yelling and advertisements, Politics has really become a game. It is in football stadiums or hockey arenas where much of the actions America has come to associate with political rallies should be seen. The yelling and booing I witnessed at the political events I went to were no different than the yelling and booing I witnessed at the homecoming football game. The advertisements and posters at political rallies look like something that belongs on the boards around the arena at hockey games. I understand people getting involved in politics, but is nearly blind cheering the kind of involvement America really wants? I call to America to get involved in a more meaningful way. I call America to get involved in discussing not necessarily agendas and politicians, but politics at the heart of it. I call America to discuss the theory behind nationalized health care, not just the neighbor who doesn't have health insurance. I call America to get involved not necessarily through cheering or action, but through knowledgable voting. I call America to know politics instead of play politics.

No comments: